The last few months have been weird. I've been fairly happy, pretty content. There have been three main events, however, that have been rapids in what I would prefer be a resort-style lazy river.
On Wednesday, December 20th, Logan had surgery to put tubes in his ears. The surgery itself wasn't that big of a deal but holy smokes the road up to it and the last couple of days have been ROUGH. He had basically nonstop ear infections since mid October, and for months last year, causing him to be really cranky and just not his normally good natured self. He was NOT happy to be there with weird people touching him...kept demanding people leave the room and saying "NO, THANK YOU!" like a angry little Nazi. They had the sedate him just to be able to put his hospital bracelet on....we just had to explain that you can't mess with this lil Texan! So here's to *hoping* the surgery will be a success and let him be happy again!
Side note: I have been alive for 26 years and Logan is not yet 2 1/2 and yet he's had stitches, a bee sting, and now a surgery under general anesthetic when I haven't had any of those! Boys......
Another scary incident happened last month. Travis woke me up at 10:45pm saying he didn't feel good and was having trouble thinking. His blood sugar was 38. (REALLY low). So we tried for two hours to get his sugar to come up but it just wouldn't! It was the weirdest thing. So after pumping him full of sugar after sugar, finally he just lost it and vomited everywhere. Apparently he had caught the stomach flu that had been going around and none of the sugar was digesting. I was so clueless as to what to do. I just kept praying and his sugar kept getting lower and all he wanted to do was go to sleep, but I was scared he was going to fall into a coma if I let him sleep. So at around 1am, I tested him again (we went through an entire bottle of strips that night, which have 100 strips) and he was 20 something. So I called Johnny Ferry, our neighbor/bishop/friend/coworker to come give him a blessing. He called Johnnie Hadfield and they came over and blessed Travis. (I'm so jealous that they could both look completely normal in the middle of the night...!) The stayed for just a few minutes and left, but I tested Travis and sure enough, he finally started to improve. We were so grateful and at around 2:30, we finally collapsed into bed, as his sugar was back up to 75ish. I am so grateful to be a member of our church and be aware of the priesthood power. I am also so grateful for loving, righteous leaders and friends who are willing to come help us in the middle of the night. I'm also so grateful to live in a day where we have blood glucose meters and ear tubes and surgeons who know what they are doing!
That brings me to the last thing. In mid September, Travis and I were ecstatic to learn that I was pregnant! We had been trying for awhile and really wanted Logan to have a sibling pretty close to him in age, so we were ready to take on another monster. Alas, Heavenly Father had other plans. At my eight week appointment, we were so excited to get to see our little baby with an ultrasound (seeing Logan for the first time was one of the Top 5 moments of my life), but things didn't work out that way. The doctor informed us, and showed us, that although I had a very healthy embryonic sac and placenta, my body hadn't formed a baby. We were so shocked, as I had had no former signs of bleeding, and I had enough morning sickness I could've been pregnant with quads...it was REALLY rough. Especially because we didn't know for sure right away. We had to do blood tests and another ultrasound, all while I was still very sick. But all the tests confirmed I had indeed had a miscarriage. I bawled my eyes out for days...the actually delivery of the sac and placenta was extremely rough, but with a super supportive husband and good friends, we made it through, and I started to feel normal again right away. Now, we are taking our time before trying again. We want to make sure we are emotionally ready, and just giving Logan all the extra love and attention we can! I think the hardest part now is watching my friends and family who got pregnant around the same time continue to grow and start finding out what they're having and what not...but I am still very happy for them and I know it will all work out. It IS really nice to not be sick! I just had no idea how intense miscarriages are and I definitely have much more empathy for those who go through it. It was also another lesson to not judge others, as I was sad and sick and absent from a lot of things during that time and since it was so personal, of course not a lot of people knew, so I hope not too many people thought I was a terrible wife and mother!
Anyhow, I hope that wasn't too much information, but I try to write about the things that effect our lives and how we live them!
1 year ago
Girl, 2011 has not been kind to you, though that picture of that HANDSOME boy sure makes an impression. He is so handsome!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHopefully 2012 will be happier for you. Here's to tubes and no morning sickness and no stomach flu for Iss.
So sorry :( Sounds like you just had one of those years where everything goes wrong! Hopefully you got it all out of your system and 2012 will be kinder to you.
ReplyDeleteAww so sorry! I miscarried before Blake and was so SHOCKED how much it hurt. Especially since some people can miscarry and bleed and not be in much pain at all. Love you!
ReplyDeleteCammie! I wish we had known. We could have included you guys in our prayers....However, I am glad you have so much support and that you are all on the road to recovery in each of your own ways. Still wish you were here. We continue to miss and love you.
ReplyDelete