K. I knew having a child would mean many sleepless nights, but I thought to myself, "I will have a schedule! I will find out what my child needs and stick to it! I will be willing to let my child cry--it's what he/she will need! I will find whatever strategy I need and my child will always be rested!" Anyone who knows Logan knows he is sweet, happy baby, but the kid Does. Not. SLEEP! I've tried:
schedules
watching his tired cues
nighttime routine
bath time
massage
CIO (modified)
not nursing
nursing
letting Daddy take over
night light
no night light
humidifier
soft music
motrin
tylenol
orajel
milacon drops (sp)
co-sleeping
crib
floor with baby
adjusting bedtime
fewer naps
adjusting nap times
adjusting temps
feeding more during day
cutting out solids
....i'm sure there is more. lol
He goes down easily enough. After our routine, I walk him and put him down when he's about half asleep, and he usually is out the first time, and within 5-10 minutes. That's FINE with me. But then he wakes up 2-5 times, sometimes up for over an hour at a time. He's not all that hungry, he just wants to be held, walked and to stare at me! lol The kid won't close his eyes! Naps aren't all that bad, either, albeit short. The one thing he does consistently is he'll take a nap two hours after he wakes up in the morning, no matter when that time is. The other nap(s) are pretty erratic...still haven't figured out the best thing there.
Anyway. The only two things I'm not willing to do are, first, to let him cry for hours. Knowing his temperament, I just don't think it would be fair to him. And second, I won't make him go all night without eating. The kid is 22.5 pounds! He needs his grub!!!!
About 5-6 nights in the last 8.5 months, he has only woken up once at night. Oh, those beautiful nights! So, I'm tired. I just wish I could figure out what I'm missing! How hard can it be???? I guess that's why there are so many *experts*. I feel like if he could just start sleeping, I could have my life back SO much more! We could go out at night, I wouldn't be a zombie all the time, I could actually plan my day....
Anyone who might have actually read this, feel free to share your experiences with me. Maybe *you* will have the answer and I will kiss you!
OH Cammie. *sigh* *sigh* *sigh* *sigh* It is SO HARD. There isn't anything harder. We NEED sleep. I don't know what to tell you girl. Brian was exactly the same only I was his human pacifier and you know he didn't sleep through the night til 18 months. Then I got mean with Aidan and let her cry. That's the only answer I have! I hope you can find an expert!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry! I know how hard it is! And it's 100 times harder to deal with when you're exhausted. I could never let my kiddos cry it out, so I suggest just go with your instincts on that. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't. If you think he needs you to leave in order to sleep (like Aidan) then leave the room!
ReplyDeleteI know it's not much comfort, but I think it's a phase he's going through. Sometimes we all need more sleep and sometimes we can't sleep very well. I suspect he'll start sleeping well again soon, just a matter of time. But, in the meantime. . . UGH! Schedules never worked for me. Sometimes I ended up simply going on baby's schedule, even if that meant some pretty crazy hours.
Perhaps spend as much time outside during the day as possible. The sunlight will help get his schedule corrected and it tends to wear them out faster being outside.
Hang in there, Babe. Love ya! If you come up this way, I can try to help during these crazy phases! Love ya!